What do all of these items have in common? Each item was something that created my third Sunday afternoon in McLean, VA. After a long week spent in the very hot and humid weather I have come down with a cold and just felt like laying around and doing absolutely nothing. So after church that is exactly what I did!
My stuff finally arrived on either Tuesday or Wednesday (can't remember). I have unpacked and am starting to somewhat feel like this is my room. Along with my stuff came my cord to download pics from my camera. Some of these pictures are a tad bit older but I wanted to include them anyway.

Saying goodbye to Becks, Tucker, Megs and Abbie the night before I left. Look how cute these Moms are.

My friends at work threw me a going away extravaganza! It was so nice of them and I bawled through every minute of it. They had everyone go around and say something nice about me...although I was beyond embarrassed, everyone was so nice and it made it even harder to leave all the great people I worked with.

This is the yummy cake they got me...Thank you again guys...I miss you!

Everyday from about 10-1 we spend at the pool. Jonas and JJ absolutely love it and always throw a fit when we have to leave. JJ has recently fell in love with having her hair flowing in the water. She laid in the tube like this for seriously a half an hour, then she had me hold her on her back. She makes me laugh so hard.

Jonas has been taking private swim lessons with Stephanie and loves it! He looks forward to going everyday.

This past weekend Paige, Quenten and I went to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in DC. It is held every year around this time and always features one country and one state. This year it was Bhutan and Texas. They had booths that featured their cultures. Learning about Bhutan was cool but Texas for some reason only had food booths...apparently all they do is eat there. Due to the scorching heat we decided to not spend much time outside and also went to the Smithsonian Institute, Union Station, and National Postal Museum. This picture is in the Postal Museum, we are getting our mail.

That night I babysat Jonas and JJ while their parents celebrated their 20th anniversary of their first date. I wanted to make it fun so I thought we would make a homemade pizza. Unfortunately after 10 of the suggested 20 minutes this is what the pizza looked like. Welcome to my life as a cook!

Outside the Union Station is a tribute to Christopher Columbus. My favorite place of the day was probably the Union Station. It is still a functioning train station and also a metro station. It has shops and restaurants in it. Paige and Q loved touring with me...;)! I had all my books and read them all the information on each place we went. The Station was opened in 1907 and has this barrel-vaulted ceiling that is 96 feet tall and covered with 70 pounds of gold leaf.

On Friday night I made my first adventure on my own to see some sights. After driving around the Pentagon 5 times because I was so lost, I finally made it to the Fashion Center at the Pentagon. I went there because it is supposed to be some great shopping but it was just like any other huge mall here. Then on the way home I decided to stop at Iwo Jima. I love seeing the monuments at night...they are so incredible. I took my time and learned all about this monument. It is dedicated to the Marine Corps and depicts the photograph from World War II when the Marines were erecting the American flag on the Pacific island of Iwo Jima.
I am learning so much about this country and feel like I have a lot more to learn. I have made a list of things I want to do while I am here and just this weekend crossed off 5 of them but still have a long way to go.
4 comments:
Kristi good job at up dating us on all the fun adventures you have been doing while over there! I sure hope you are having fun call whenever you need to talk! We miss you so much!
That comment was by your long lost friend Alycia
I have been to Union Station because I have taken the train from Utah to DC two times. That's right, my dad loves trains and he's gone across the country on the train so many times I can't even count them. It is actaully kind of cool. I think it's really cool you are studying up on everything, when I look at the monuments that's about all that I do is look. Not much else. You should go to the Holocaust museum, it is really sad but really cool.
Mitzi
I can't believe how much I miss you. I mean, I know that you didn't live in St George when you left but atleast I knew that you were in the same state. And imagine my insane jealousy when I saw that Megs and Becky got to send you on your way. I am happy to see that you are enjoying your nannyhood though. It's pretty cool that you get to see all those neat monuments and stuff. I hope everything is going good. Love your face.
Post a Comment