Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tourist Books=Tender Mercies

I always thought I had a good sense of direction...then I moved to Virginia where there are no mountains, streets change names, and some streets have a name and a number. This past weekend I learned that all of those factors add to many hours driving aimlessly having no idea where I am. Luckily before I came to the state for lovers my Mom bestowed upon me some tourist books and a couple maps.  Those literally saved my life this weekend. My first adventure began Friday morning when I decided to venture out to breakfast and Target. After one hour I finally found Target...and still have no idea where The Original Pancake House is. Saturday I had planned to visit a couple museums so I decided to take the metro into DC. Getting to the metro was not a problem but coming home is a story for another time.
I had planned to visit two museums (National Geographic Society and Corcoran Gallery of Art) but due to circumstances I ended up visiting 7 destinations on my to do list. All of this thanks to my handy books (thanks Mom)! Here are the pictures of my travels...

First I went to the National Geographic Society. They currently have an exhibit on China...it was so great. I learned so much about China and this is where I began to fall in love with Asian art. They also had an exhibit on the outside of the building of a famous photographer. She has traveled all over the world and had some amazing photographs. The photo below was taken in Australia during a boat parade.
After the National Geographic Society I had a delightful lunch at my new favorite sub shop- Potbelly's. Then I made the long walk to Corcoran. On my way I stopped at the White House. Outside there were a couple protesters. This lady had no teeth and was protesting the war. This man and lady got into a huge fight...she kept telling him he was uneducated. It was hilarious! 
Corcoran did not have any exhibits I was interested in so I decided to go to the Freer Gallery of Art. Freer was a very rich man who collected Asian art and when he died he donated it all to this gallery. It was so amazing. I am now in love with Asian art and have decided my next adventure is to go to Asia.
After my love affair with Asian art ended I went to Hirshhorn Museum where modern art is housed. I am not a huge modern art fan but I decided for cultural purposes I would take a look.
After walking through many video exhibits, none of which I understood I came to this escalator. I would like to say the heat and tired feet contributed to this story. I began walking onto this escalator only to make it to the second step and fall to my hands and knees. How many escalators have I been on...probably thousands...you would think I could handle stepping onto it...when the steps are actually moving down and not up it makes going up a little more difficult. After I realized that I had tried to go up an escalator that is coming down and the crowds of people made sure I was not hurt (only a couple cuts on my feet) I had to take a picture.
Mom I have figured out what you can do with all your extra hangers. Again I don't understand Modern Art.

After becoming cultured on Modern art I wanted to go to the National Museum of American Indian but due to the mass amount of crowds in town for the 4th the line was beyond what I could handle. So I went further down the street to the Botanic Gardens. They had some really cool plants and flowers. None of my favorites but some cool ones nonetheless.
This is the jungle. I loved to see people's faces when they watched me taking pictures of myself. A couple of people would offer to take a picture but I always told them they look cooler when I do it.
After I smelled the amazing scents the jungle had to offer I headed up to the Capital. Below is a prime example of why I don't let others take pictures for me. This lady kept moving further and further back. I guess it gets the whole Capital in it...I am the dot in front of it!
After the Capital I wanted to see the inside of the Library of Congress. I had seen pictures and it looked incredible. I didn't really know what was in it but I thought I should educated myself.  This picture is the above the grand hall. It really was gorgeous inside. 
This is the 75 feet tall ceiling with stain glass.
After almost 7 hours of touring DC I was beyond exhausted. My feet felt like they might fall off and my legs ached to no end. I decided it might be time to head home and rest. This is what my feet looked like...I had on my new J Crew black flip flops and the rubber literally rubbed my feet raw.
After a short nap at home I decided I wanted to see a movie. I have heard so much about Ironman but had not seen it yet. It was so good and I would highly recommend it. Overall the weekend was very educational and I feel so blessed to be able to learn so much about other cultures and our history!

6 comments:

BeckyRuss said...

Sure missed you at Tucker's blessing today--it just wasn't the same without you! Looks like you're having a great time enjoying the touristy things to do in D.C. I'm proud of you for getting out there and tackling the sights. Love you much and miss you every day!

Angie said...

Niels, you're here. We gotta tour together sometime. email me!

The Cannons said...

I'm impressed that you would do all of that alone. I'm not sure if I would, so I think that is awesome. Sounds like you are learning a ton.
Mitzi

Jason and Tawni said...

Krist -
Only you would be brave enough to post a picture of the bottom of your feet. I love it! Great job on going out and about and getting to know your surroundings. It sounds like you had an awesome time and I am jealous that you are seeing so many cool things. We are all missing you but we are REALLY proud of you. becks is right, Tucker's blessing just wasn't the same without you but just know that we were thinking about you the whole time. Well, maybe not during the time I was eating lunch because I was really hungry but other than that I was thinking about you ... Love ya!

Cher said...

Kristi...echoing the thoughts of others I am amazed at all the awesomenss you were able to pack into one whole day in DC! Your my traveling idol! I miss living in cities where there was so much to do! I miss your hot face! Keep the pics and stories comming!

Shannon said...

I figured that if I commented on one of your blogs, maybe, just MAYBE, you would comment on one of mine ;)

Only you would trip up the down escalators ;) LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!