Saturday, June 14, 2008

Alive but Tired!

After 10 hours of traveling and an half hour in a cab I finally arrive at my new home. I had a lay over in Denver and due to weather on the east coast my flight was not only delayed but also had to redirect to avoid the storms. For three hours of the four hour flight a baby screamed (poor parents) and right behind me a man talked at top volume in a language I didn't understand. I tried to rent a movie (Fool's Gold) but due to technical problems the sound was mostly fuzzy. So needless to say it was not an enjoyable flight. I was scheduled to land at Washington National Airport at 10:00 pm but did not arrive until 11:30 pm. I gather my two HUGE bags and hailed a cab. I am not sure how this cab ever passed the safety test (maybe he bribed the mechanic...not that I know what that is like ;)). There was no air conditioning so we drove with the windows down...and all I could hear was the thumping of something on the outside of the car. The driver barely spoke English (do any of them?) and he had no idea how to get where I needed to go. Seeing as this was my second time I had no idea either. In a state of panic I text Quenten to give me directions. After what felt like days he finally text me back with directions...phew! I was seriously in panic mode. I arrive at the new pad around 12:30 am. Exhausted and emotionally drained. I vented to a couple people then hit the sack around 1:30 am. Due to my bedroom being directly below the kitchen I am able to hear everything that goes on...and I mean everything. Any footstep or pin dropping I hear it (no worries I am getting ear plugs). At 7:30 am when Jonas and JJ wake up I in turn also wake up. Besides that eventful night the day went pretty well. The family said goodbye to their nanny (Tess)...it was pretty emotional even for me and I barely knew her. She seemed like an awesome nanny and I feel that I have a lot to live up to. We then had lunch and I spent the rest of the day relaxing and shopping at Tyson's Corner (best shopping EVER)!!!!! I get to go to the singles ward tomorrow...which I am kind of nervous about. What if no one likes me? I feel like it is the first day of kindergarten all over again (yes I remember what that was like). Then I start work on Monday...Wish me luck!
Here are some pics of my room....it is kind of plain until I get my packages (hopefully by Thursday).

Can you see that thing on the dresser...that is my flat screen TV.
That is my closet...it is huge! Trust me I will need every inch of it.
View from my bed to the door...just outside that door is the kids playroom and my bathroom.
Jonas...The little boy I will be watching. This is his new truck Tess gave him.
My cat who hissed at me when I said bye. No she did not come with me. I wish!

6 comments:

BeckyRuss said...

Sounds like it was quite the adventure to get there--glad you finally made it. Miss you already!

Campbell said...

How scary, at least you got in a cab I wouldn't have made it that far! I like the room sorry your t.v isn't any bigger! Miss you!

Jason and Tawni said...

Wow, you really went through a lot on that flight out to your new home. I am terrified of the 1st time we will have to fly with Stella, I imagine it will be a nightmare. I am so happy that you made it to Virginia and I am looking forward to hearing about your new life as a nanny to Jonas and JJ ... Miss you lots!!!!

The Cannons said...

That was a pretty stressful traveling experience, I've had a few of those. I seriously struggle with sleeping if I hear even one sound, so I sleep with ear plugs and with a fan on my night table to drown out any possible noise. Don't worry I still hear Corbin crying before Scott does. I would highly reccomend a fan or a noise maker if you struggle as I do.
Mitzi
oh and good luck! And who could not like you? You will be the most popular girl in the Singles Ward for sure.

Heather and Trevor said...

Hey girl! I wanted to drop you a little note! Congrats on making it to your location! Crazy! So, my sis lives there and we LOVE Tyson's Corner Mall. We go whenever we visit. Just had to tell you that! :) It was great to see you at Stella's Blessing as well.

We are going private in a couple of weeks so I you have time send me an e-mail so we can keep in touch. Good Luck with everything!

Courtney said...

Hey Kris, glad to hear things are off to a good start (minus the travel part). Let us know how the singles ward was and how the first week is going. Love ya.