Thursday, February 14, 2008

Not a way to start out Valentines...

Today is supposed to be a day surrounded by loved ones but unfortunately today there will be one less loved one surrounding me. Last night before I went to bed I did my nightly check on my best friend Tank. He was curled in the corner as normal and his little chest was going up and down. I could now get a good night sleeping knowing that he was also. As is also routine when I wake up I checked on him again. He was in the same corner and looked like he hadn't moved since last night, which is rare seeing as he is a night owl (in the hamster form). I moved his cage to try and get some reaction and nothing. That is when my stomached dropped. I placed my finger on his hard little body and realized that after over a year together he had left me. I know he is in a better place now probably running freely with his mom and dad, but it still makes me a little teary eyed to think that Tank will no longer be running in his little ball around my apartment. Some of you were blessed to know Tank and were influenced by his loving nature and some of you were not but all in all the song from Wicked titled "For Good" is what I would like you to always remember him by..."Because I knew you...I have been changed for good..." Rest in Peace my friend.

All joking aside I thought this would not make me cry but as I wrote this blog and looked at pictures of him the tears began to flow. He really was so fun and so cute and I will honestly miss him so much.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Kristi, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers are with you at this time. It will be a long and hard road getting through this, but you're strong and will survive!

Ok, that was totally cheese - but I am sorry to hear about Tank.

Hope your day ends up better than it started.

Happy V-day

AndersenFamily said...

Kristi, I can't believe you had another hamster in an apartment. Oh wait, it was Kathy who had the hamster in our apartment up at Ricks and remember how Shami kept him all summer and then Kathy left him outside our first night back to school and the poor little fellow died there in the cold.
I hope you have a better Valentine's day, we are sending our love your way :)

Jason and Tawni said...

Ok now I am actually crying and I don't even like hampsters. Not that I am against them or anything, I happen to be a HUGE animal lover (except for birds) and I love mostly all walks of life. I just have this thing in my head that hapmsters and rabbits smell bad and they would make my house stink. But maybe I am wrong. Either way I am really sorry that you lost your little friend. Having something die is not fun. And if it makes you feel better, Jason gave me a water frog named Max that he bought at Target when we were dating and he died right before we moved into our new house down here. I hd him for 5 years and I was devastated. Jason threw him away in a garbage can on the street and I didn't talk to him for days because he wouldn't let me bury his body. Funny, I had forgotten all about that until just now ... Anyways, I am sorry about your buddy. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Nettie Martin said...

Kristine Elaine. . .

First of all- I am so sorry to hear about Tank. I lost my little Melon almost a year ago and I still get a little teary eye thinking about her. Pets are part of the family and it's stinking hard when they pass away.

Second- it was great to see that you have updated your blog. I realize you are busy- but I still check it a couple times a week-just in case you did update. So. . . it was a pleasant surprise to see new pictures and updates =)

Amy @MoMomma said...

Kristi - I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Heck, I didn't even know Tank exsisted until today (goes to show you how much you share with me! lol). I'm sorry that his "wheel won't keep on turnin'" but my thoughts are with ya :) hope to see you around the work IM soon! Amy

BeckyRuss said...

Tank has bit the dust. What a tragic thing Niels. He was such a good hampster--and was so talented at running on his hampster wheel. Bless his soul!

The Cannons said...

I don't really like pets at all but the way you told the story I can't help but feel sad. I really almost cried, especially because I always check on my baby before I go to bed and look at him breathing too.
Mitzi