Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Do I stay or do I go...?


Do I stay or do I go....? That is the question. I am reaching out to all of you for help and guidance in this matter. I have lived in the S.L.C. all but 3 years of my life and I am feeling like I am stuck in a rut. I have always had a dream of moving to back east to where our nation was founded. For some reason the east coast has always had a place in my heart. When I graduated from high school I looked at being a nanny back east but instead I decided to pursue my education at BYU-Idaho. Then 3 years ago I looked into it again. I even spoke with numerous families who wanted to hire me (but who wouldn't honestly). Instead I decided to serve a mission. Just like clock work 3 years later I investigate this option again. I am so torn on what to do and I need some guidance to help me make my decision. Why would I want to be a babysitter for rich people...let me lay out the Pros and Cons....

Pros:

1. Get out of Utah and be able to live where I have always dreamed of

2. Make money that I can save and ultimately use to finish school (side note...not a large amount)

3. Great experience living on my own

4. Opportunity to meet other single adults

5. Experience other cultures

6. Only for a year

7. All expenses paid for
8. Opportunity to travel

Cons:

1. Leaving a very flexible job

2. Far away from my family

3. I would be moving where I know no one

4. The risk of having a good family

5. Not advancing in a career

6. Will not be making a great salary

7. Would have to take online courses

and lastly...babysit children all day!

My ideal situation would include me being able to get good job (without a degree yet!) out there while being able to afford to live. Unfortunately I am not able to think of a way to be able to do this. The only option I see is to become a nanny. So tell me what you think...

4 comments:

Corbo and Trav Hanson said...

Hmmmmmm-that's a hard one. I served my mission back east and LOVED it!!! It's so different back east-quaint, historical, love the easterner accent- all the above are great. It would be an amazing experience and you'll never get another opportunity in your life to do it again. I say go for it!!! You might come across another job-career- while you're out there too. If it doesn't work-move back to UT-it's worth a try!

Courtney said...

Hey Kris - in my opinion I think you should go. If it were me, I wouldn't want to look back and regret not trying something new. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out - but at least you can tell yourself you tried it. My brother-in-law (Trevor)lives in Manhattan and seems to have a great ward where there are a lot of young single adults and there's always stuff going on. Definitely look into really carefully - make sure you go with the right family, make sure you find an area with a good singles ward, etc. Life is supposed to be full of experiences and adventure. Go live life! You deserve to.

Anonymous said...

Don't hate me...I am sorry I have such a strong opinion about it. I will be quiet from now on, I have expressed myself and I will support whatever you decide. Thanks bye.
Megan Lee

Nettie Martin said...

From my little experience of being a nanny- I would say DON'T DO IT! At least not the nanny part. It's honestly NO FUN babysitting others kids ALL DAY! My situation is probably quite different from what you'd be set up with- but still I didn't enjoy it. I'd talk to a few girls who have done the whole nanny gig. I just had a friend who went to CA to nanny and after a week of what she thought was going to be the perfect family- turned out the dad was a creep and she came home. Why not try a different job out there? 8-5? I'm sure with you skillz you could land something great! Maybe at one of the colleges there? I think getting away and trying something new is a GREAT idea- I'm just not a big fan of Nanny gigs. BUT. . .like the others have said try and if you hate it- move back and then you'll have no regrets. That's my two cents =)