Friday, July 20, 2007

Summer Softball Fiasco

Since my week has consisted of nothing but softball I decided to discuss this a little bit. I play on a team with my work- GO WGU! Every Tuesday night at 3700 South and Main (if you would like to come watch). Not only do I engage in this blessed team but I also have been privileged enough to be invited to sub on other teams. The captain of our work team (James) knows like everyone in the softball world and they are always in need of girls. This week started out with a game Monday night where Alycia and I played on a team that is not very good but fun to play with. I played second for pretty much my first time ever. I always get so confused on where I run to when the ball is hit over my head. If it goes to the right field I run out that way to be the cut off man and if it is hit in left field I cover my base. I get it now but sure had a hard time with that while playing. My skills are probably best used at first where I just run to my base no matter what. While playing second a man from right field decided to throw a bullet at me. It was headed towards my feet when i put my glove down to stop it. That was a great idea for stopping the ball and not so much for thumb injuries. Let me explain that...the week before I played on this same team and while running from second to third I jumped over the ball and landed right on my knee and hand. I hurt them both severely and actually could not walk on my left leg for days- I have a huge bruise to show for it. So since my thumb was already jammed from this the bullet hitting it cause more damage and I have been wearing a brace since.
I know I am special. Needless to say we lost that game by A LOT.
I then had my regularly scheduled game on Tuesday and was only able to play catch because catch a hard ball hurt so bad. I know you would think playing catch would not be the best idea but it actually was. I didn't have to catch hard balls. We were behind 5-11 when in one inning we came back and ended up losing 10-11.

Then last night James wanted me to play again but my family was here and I wanted to see them. So he asked if I could play Saturday. They needed 2 girls and a guy. So I called my people who called their people and Becks, Russ and I will be gracing yet another team with our skills.

So on average this summer I probably play softball 2 to 3 times a week and I am loving it. I am getting a lot better. I need to practice hitting a little more but I can feel that both teams I am playing on in the fall will be pleased with what I have to offer. Yes that is right folks...I am playing on TWO teams. Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I am very excited and feel like this fall is bound to be a good one for at least one of the teams ;)

No comments: