Sunday, August 3, 2008

Perfect Way to End Shark Week.

This week the Discovery Channel was having Shark Week...I loved it! Last Sunday I watched 2 hours of Mythbusters on the movie "Jaws". It was so cool!!!!! Occasionally throughout the week I would watch some of the other shows this delightful channel had to offer. It increased my fascination with not only the ocean but with sharks. On Saturday I ended this educational week with a visit to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It is one of the Top 10 Best Aquariums and I just might agree. Especially compared to the embarrassment we have in Salt Lake City. But before I get to those pictures lets do a short synopsis of my week.
Monday...JJ woke up with pink eye. No swimming pool for us.
Tuesday...JJ's pink eye spreads to the other eye. No swimming pool.
Wednesday...JJ wakes up with a fever and runny nose. Disgusting carpet installers spend the day installing carpet. Jonas spills paint all over me and the wood floor. JJ wakes up from her nap and throws up on me, her bed and the carpet.
Thursday...JJ has two ear infections and an unknown virus. Again no swimming pool.
Friday...JJ spent the whole night coughing. NO POOL!!!!!
So needless to say after a very long week I spend Friday night in my bed watching Tyler Perry's "Meet the Browns" (DUMB!)
When Saturday finally came I was ready. Apparently Saturday was Tax Free Day in Virginia and all clothes, shoes and school supplies were not taxed! Of course I had to make an appearance at the mall and see if there was anything that I had to have. Unfortunately I was only able to find a few things that my wardrobe needed and of course the new "Breaking Dawn" book! Which I am SOOOOO excited to read.
The time had then come to make the hour trip up to Baltimore. After picking up Paige and grabbing some lunch we finally arrived in the largest city in Maryland. The city was so confusing with all its one way streets and limited parking. We had to pay $21 to park for about 4 hours. But we were so happy to be finally be there.
I just love being by the water and the harbor made me so happy! Just being in the whole environment. I know it is weird but I loved it!
Our tickets to the National Aquarium. We had to buy them a day in advanced and just like everything else around here it was SOOOO crowded.
They had all these military ships and I tried to board one but they informed me you have to pay $10 just to walk on it...No thanks!
We arrived in Baltimore a little early and didn't really know what to do. After walking around aimlessly for an hour we gave up, bought Dippin Dots and people watched.
Finally after hours of line waiting we made it in the Aquarium. They had tons of stingray swimming around in this huge tank. I just wanted to jump in the water and swim with them. No worries I didn't.
Turtles are so cute. I have always wanted one. And after today I want one even more.
On our trip we stopped by the Rain Forest.
Then came time for the SHARKS!!!!!!! I know it looks fake but I assure you it is real.
Besides having a turtle I also have a love of frogs. Ok ok I pretty much love every animal. But they are just so cute. Paige assured me these two were not mating but keeping each other warm.
This bullfrog did freak me out a little. So maybe I don't love all animals. He just looks so angry at the world.
The colors on some of these frogs were so amazing and bright.
Then came time for my favorite thing. The Dolphin Show!!!!!!! A baby calf had just been born on Sunday so they are holding quiet shows as not to disturb the little one. I was so surprised by how many dolphins they have. I think total there were about 8 or 9. The oldest one performed for us and is about 37 years old weighing over 500 pounds.
I have always wanted to be a dolphin trainer...but who hasn't really. Then they told us that trainers have to clean the tank. I think I'll just pay to swim with them.
It was really hard to get a picture because my camera is from the 1800's. But this was right after he jumped out of the water and hit the ball. It was incredible.
They were so cute...I cried when I had to say goodbye to my new friends.After my meltdown upon leaving the dolphins we came back to McLean to partake in some authentic Italian food at the OG...or Olive Garden for some of you who are not with the times. Can I just tell you that the salad and breadsticks are always worth it. After all of us had filled our bellies to the max we went back to Q's for card games and Guitar Hero. Good time had by all!

1 comment:

The Cannons said...

Oh man reading your posts makes me tired, don't you ever want to relax on a weekend after working all week? It sounds like you are having tons of fun though. I love the salad and breadsticks at OG as you say.
Mitzi