Sunday, April 20, 2008

McLean, Virginia here I come!

The nanny job searching has finally come to an end. Today at approximately 12:33 PM I received an offer to work for a family in McLean, VA (which is just outside of Washington D.C.). For two months I have been going through numerous and numerous interviews and just have not felt right about any of them. After filling out what felt like billions and billions of applications with various nanny agencies I just never found what I like to call the "perfect" family. Then right before I flew out to Connecticut a friend at work referred me to an ad on craigs list for a family in VA. At first I was a little skeptical but decided to email the family anyway. I sent them my resume and we continued to go through about 4 interviews. I had an initial phone interview with the mother (Sylvia), then a couple days later I went to the Grandparents for a webcam interview with both of the parents. After I was able to visit with their Grandparents and have the webcam interview I felt so good about this family. They are originally from Utah and seem very family oriented. From the webcam interview they narrowed it to two people. They spent the next week calling my references. It pretty much was the longest week of my life. Fortunately I have great references who were very generous. I spoke with the mother again on Friday for a short interview and she said they would make their decision and let me know on Sunday. Needless to say the past two days have been killing me. I have wanted this job so bad...it is everything I was looking for and more. Today while I was in church the family called. After church I call them right back only for them not to answer. Then the phone tag ended at 12:33 when I heard the words I have been waiting all week to here. Well not the exact words...I was actually so excited and could not really focus on a lot of what she was saying. She was very complimentary and said they were very impressed with my experience, references and my interviews. I do remember her saying that I was the best candidate they have ever interviewed...how nice. I can't believe this over two month job search has finally ended. I am very nervous about packing up and moving to a new area by myself...at the same time I have never felt so good about anything. I will be moving out there around June 13th. This is where I get cheesy...this really has been an exhausting process and these past couple months have been very difficult but through it all I have realized what incredible support I have. I have the most amazing family and friends. Thank you so much for your support! I am sure I am going to need much more of it in the next months ahead.
DC here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Amy @MoMomma said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you - what an exciting adventure you're going to have. We will sure miss you at WGU!!

Joanna said...

Congratulations! You will have to let us know how it all goes. Does your family mind if you post cute pictures of their kids? We would love to see a picture of them. Keep us updated.

The Cannons said...

I think you made the right choice. DC is beautiful. Let me know if you want my friend Alison's phone number, she's lived out there for about four years.
Mitzi